Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Smudge Proof, Budge Proof Eyes

Time for a little "beauty" blogging I think! So, here goes...

As well as grey hairs, fine lines, and a preference (albeit occasional) for comfort over style, it seems my forty plus years have also brought an increase in sensitivity to my eyes.  Yes, many things bring tears to my eyes these days... university tuition fees, the increasing likelihood that the "kids” will not completely leave home until they are at least 35, the realisation that my dear husband will never understand my OCD tendencies, and the acceptance that I’m not ever going to win the lottery!  I also shed a tear at the usual stuff, a trip to the cinema (I was still crying when we arrived home, after seeing Les Mis!), touching TV moments (Educating Yorkshire’s “Mushy”... loved him!), and acts of general human kindness and compassion (you know, like when someone's "kind" and "compassionate" enough to tell you when you’ve left your dress tucked in your knickers after visiting the loo...c'mon, I know that’s not just me!).

Actually, it seems my eyes have a tendency to water in almost all situations, as they also seem to stream in the sun, the wind, the cold...well pretty much all of the time!  Obviously, “wet” eyes are going to result in the very undesirable “panda” look...that is, unless you’ve invested in a formidable trio of eye products such as this...


Step one...Urban Decay Eye-Shadow Primer Potion

Wear this fantastic primer on its own to avoid eyeliner smudging or “transferring” onto your lids or, wear under any eye-shadow of your choice and it will stay in place, guaranteed, until you decide to remove it.  No smudges, no creases, all day, all night! This legendary magic potion comes in “original” (which is my preference) or in three other shades which act as primer and shadow all in one (these are a bit on the “shimmery” side for me and tend to accentuate any fine lines or wrinkles but they look fabulous on my 21 year old daughter’s youthful eyes!) I love this product and at £15 for 11ml (which lasts me well over 6 months, and I use it every day) it’s not cheap, but it’s well worth it!


Step Two... Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer

This beautifully soft and easy to apply eyeliner comes in “twist up” type packing (no pencil sharpener required).  It also has a small blending sponge at the opposite end, which is really useful for softening the line if you prefer a more natural look. It comes in 3 shades “Noir” (which I use), “Aqua Sparkle” and “Emerald Sparkle”, I haven’t tried the “Sparkle” versions, as I tend to stick to neutral shades on my eyes.

The two eye lining products I used before trying this one, were both Bobbi Brown (gel liner and pencil version), expensive but very, very good.  Does this Rimmel option match up?... 
yes absolutely, and at only £3.99 is a real bargain!

Step three... Max Factor False Lash Effect Waterproof Mascara

And finally... mascara, the finishing touch to any well made-up eye.  However, it can “break” rather than “make” your look if it ends up all down your face the minute your eyes get a bit watery!  I’ve tried loads of waterproof mascaras and, to be fair, most of them do what it says on the tin (even the cheaper versions tend not to run).  However, the difference with this one is that it’s effective not only as a waterproof mascara, but is equally effective at lengthening and thickening your lashes (I find some of the cheaper versions struggle to deliver on all three counts).  I wouldn’t go so far as to say it gives a “false lash effect”, but that’s ok with me as I’m not really a falsies fan anyway, preferring a more natural look (and being way too lazy to be bothered with the fuss of applying them).

I would say, at around £8, this is a pretty reasonably priced product, especially considering its benefits.



One thing with this mascara though, if you’re not already using an eye make-up remover (and I have been known to just remove my eye make-up with a regular cleanser, or a wipe, I know...naughty!), you will need to invest in something specifically for the job to thoroughly remove this mascara, the most formidable waterproof version I’ve tried yet.  I find this, Nivea Daily Essentials Double Effect Eye Make Up Remover, does the trick.



Well ladies, I think I can safely say, you could wear this trio at weddings, christenings, funerals, boozy Christmas parties, and everything in between, with 100% confidence that it most definitely will not smudge or budge... however many tears you shed!


Hope you enjoyed the post! 





No comments:

Post a Comment