Monday, 6 April 2015

Mid-Life Lash Crisis!

 Is expensive, 'high-end' mascara the solution? 



Erm, no-one told me thinning lashes are a part of the ageing process! But it seems this is indeed the case.  So, I've been trying out a couple of new mascaras in an attempt to build up my own lashes to their former glory.  Did they work?

We all know that certain things are inevitable when it comes to getting older and wider oops, should I say wiser.  You know the stuff, a glimmer of the odd silver highlight in our hair, crows feet around the eyes, and yes the sudden appearance of those little brown marks on the back of our hands (which I believe have the rather attractive name of 'age spots'!).

Well, I've survived the onslaught of all of the above (and the rest), and have emerged determined as ever to continue in my quest to try and improve with age (rather like a fine wine!)  And, of course, even when certain other areas of my anatomy may work against me in this quest, I still have my amazing lashes to fall back on, right?... wrong!!  Where have they gone? You know, those lashes that only needed a quick slick of any old mascara to leave me looking wide-eyed, gorgeous and more than good-to-go!

Now don't be alarmed, it has been quite a gradual process. I didn't wake up one morning to find myself lash-less, but over the past few years I've definitely noticed them thinning. So, I've been spending increasing amounts of time, applying increasing amounts of mascara in order to get a result anywhere near what I used to achieve in seconds.  I've tried loads of different mascaras and to be honest, I've found them all to be much of a muchness. However, I am a bit of a thrifty missus, and until recently have never actually splashed out on expensive mascara products. Well maybe it was time to get spending if I wanted thicker, fuller lashes - you get what you pay for, right? 

So off I went, to purchase my very first high end mascara, how exciting!  After careful consideration I decided on Chanel's Le Volume de Chanel, water resistant formula, in black -  which came in at a mere £25!  I thought I'd buy a cheaper product too, also claiming to add length and volume, just to see how it compared, and opted for Max Factor's Wild Mega Volume, also in water resistant black - a snip at just £6.99. 

I have to say, for me, the Chanel option was disappointing!  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible, and if I'd paid under a tenner for it I would have probably been pretty impressed with my purchase. However at £25, it certainly did not live up to expectations, and really didn't thicken or lengthen my lashes any more than any other product I've tried. The formula was nice and it went on smoothly and evenly without any clumping, however after a few hours I did find little 'flakes' of the product had fallen onto my cheeks. I did find its water resistance very effective, and I was able to remove it easily with eye make up remover. All in all, not bad but in my opinion certainly not worthy of a £25 price tag!

So what about the Max Factor Wild Mega Volume?  Well, I found this one to be a fantastic product, excellent value for money and it does a great job of thickening and lengthening.  The shape of the brush seems to work really well and with just one quick slick (even on my ageing lashes) creates a lovely daytime look, especially if used with a lash curler.  Want a more dramatic evening look?  then just add another coat and you're almost talking false lash look... little effort, great results!  Super water resistant formula too.

Of course, if you're really struggling with mid-life lash loss, you could always opt for a set of falsies. I've tried them a couple of times but they generally just leave me feeling like a pantomime dame! Having said that, I did recently try a 'fan' shape set for a vintage glamour look, and was really pleased with the results.  Apparently the single false lashes are an effective and natural looking option too, but sound like they require just a little too much effort for my liking (or cost a fortune to have applied in a salon).

I've also managed to pick up some top anti-ageing make up tips from a few You Tube tutorials. A particular favourite of mine is Make up Artist, Lisa Eldridge (remember her from the Ten Years Younger series?), who has some really clever tricks on how to give the illusion of fuller thicker lashes, as well as lots of other great tips on defying age... without even a hint of resorting to the old scalpel! Well worth taking a look. 

So, whilst high end mascara was not the solution to my mid-life lash crisis, I do know other ladies who would not even consider anything less.  I guess it's about trying as many of the marvelous product options out there as you possibly can, and having fun exploring and experimenting with some of the tricks of the trade to find out what works best for you.

What I've come to realise over the past few years is that the onset of the ageing process does indeed pose many challenges.  I've also come to realise that trying to find solutions can be a whole load of fun (if somewhat a little expensive at times!)

Do you have a favourite mid-life lash solution?  If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for reading...





Okay, but in my opinion not worthy of the £25 price tag!
Great product!  And at a very reasonable price.
'Fan' style falsies great for Vintage Glam party night look, not my cup of tea for everyday though!





No comments:

Post a Comment